Narrowband

Problems with software - SharpCap/ SynScan driver bug

Jimbo64

I've posted this also on CN, but hope the experts here have an answer/ good advice!

I recently bought my first camera (ZWO ASI585mc) for use with my SynScan app wifi controlled Skywatcher 200p dobsonian and I've been struggling for the past couple of weeks to get my software systems downloaded, configured and communicating with one another.  Having planned to join the EAA ranks for months now you can imagine how gutted I am at not being able to use my new camera and disappointed that EAA is proving far from an easy step for me to make, especially as I've had clear skies.

My SynScan app works fine, it even 'talks' to Stellarium and lets me drive my scope from there, but I can't get SharpCap and Synscan to communicate.  Sharpcap is saying that an error occurred in trying to connect with my SynScan mount and that a bug has been detected in one of my ASCOM drivers.  SharpCap further advises that I should report the issue to the developer of the driver or the manufacturer of the device (giving me a dozen or so lines of code detailing the problem - see below) before it then crashes and closes itself.

I've literally started again from scratch, deleted and then downloaded all of the software (except Stellarium) afresh today (Ascom Platform, Ascom driver for Synscan app, SharpCap Pro, SynScan app) but the problem persists.

Logic tells me that something serious may be going on between my systems (hence the SharpCap driver error messages), but my newness to EAA and lack of confidence that I've got my set up right tells me I'm somehow making a basic error.  Any advice?

Jim

SharpCap 'bug' error report:

ASCOM.DriverException: Conversation timeout ---> ASCOM.DriverException: Conversation timeout
   at ASCOM.SynScanMobile.AscomConversationManager.Converse(Command command, ArgsChecker argsChecker, ConverseParams convParams)
   at SwCsCommon.SSMConversation.ConversationManager.ConverseGetBoolean(String cmd, ConverseParams convParams)
   at ASCOM.SynScanMobile.Telescope.get_CanSlew()
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CheckDotNetExceptions(String memberName, Exception e) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:line 613
   at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.GetTargetInvocationExceptionHandler(String memberName, Exception e) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:line 664
   at ASCOM.DriverAccess.MemberFactory.CallMember(Int32 memberCode, String memberName, Type[] parameterTypes, Object[] parms) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\MemberFactory.cs:line 230
   at ASCOM.DriverAccess.Telescope.get_CanSlew() in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverAccess\Telescope.cs:line 450
   at SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM.RefreshMountProxy.MountCapabilities..ctor(IMountProxy mount) in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\src\SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM\RefreshMountProxy.cs:line 45
   at SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM.RefreshMountProxy.GetCapabilities() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\src\SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM\RefreshMountProxy.cs:line 93
   at SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM.RefreshMountProxy.get_CanReportPointing() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\src\SharpCap.MountProxy.ASCOM\RefreshMountProxy.cs:line 332
   at SharpCap.ViewModels.MenuItemViewModel.Refresh() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\src\SharpCap\ViewModels\Menus\SplitButtonViewModel.cs:line 61
   at SharpCap.ViewModels.MenuItemViewModel.Refresh() in C:\Documents\Source Code\SharpCap\src\SharpCap\ViewModels\Menus\SplitButtonViewModel.cs:line 63
   at SharpCap.ViewModels.SharpCapViewModel.UpdateAllStatuses()
   at SharpCap.ViewModels.SharpCapViewModel.<appModel_OnCaptureEvent>d__132.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Edited by Cornelius Varley
background colour removed

Hi Martin,

I get the same error when I just run SharpCap standalone. In Hardware settings I had configured SharpCap to automatically connect the mount when opening a camera - when untick this the error disappears. Does this help?