Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Short FL refractor to go with moded DSLR?

Just musing over the morning cup of coffee about getting my 450D 'modded' and, if so, what 'scope to parter it with. I'm thinking of targets like the good old North America nebula, so I want a relatively short focal length, quite quick and a flat field (with suitable flattener), colour correction must be acceptable and a decent focuser is a bonus too.

At the moment I have an 80ED which is almost there, but is a bit longer and slower than i'd really like. Things like the William Optics ZS66/M72 plus the FF II/III (whichever one it is) seem obvious candidates, but i'm wondering what else people use or have considered.

Total budget for 'scope + flattener + mounting kit would be £500 tops, something available used strongly preferred. Got a few months before i'll do anything - house to buy first! - so not in a hurry :)

Out of interest, anybody know whats NEW about the The NEW William Optics ZS66 APO - it appears very much like the old one, but available in white Megrez-style powdercoating?

William Optics - William Optics Zenithstar 66 SD APO

I wondered that, too. It is a ridiculously good little scope, though. (I have the old one plus FFR and might well buy another since the present one is often squandered on guiding.)

Olly

Archived