NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

blue fringe?

Roger I am by far no expert in imaging never mind planetary imaging so take what I offer with a large healthy dose of  suspicion!  Did you have any filters in the image train, UV blocking for example to reduce blue bloating and help improve focus?  I'm also wondering if rather than an image capture problem it arose in processing. It almost looks like the stacking has tried to align images that are perhaps at the limit of being "alignable". Could you try increasing the reject rate and concentrate on the really best of the data capture.  Hopefully somebody with more expertise (and skill) will come and offer better advice. 

Jim 

Edited by saac

1 minute ago, saac said:

Roger I am by far no expert in imaging never mind planetary imaging so take what I offer with a large healthy dose of  suspicion!  Did you have any filters in the image train, UV blocking for example to reduce blue bloating and help improve focus?  I'm also wondering if rather than an image capture problem it arose in processing. It almost looks like the stacking has tried to align images that are perhaps at the limit of being "alignable". Could you try increasing the reject rate and concentrate on the best of the data capture.  Hopefully somebody with more expertise (and skill) will come and offer better advice. 

Jim 

Thank you Jim

I am using an asi 120 mc camera which I understand has a built in IR cut filter.  I will certainly try a smaller stack percentage as you suggest.

Cheers

Roger

• Like 1

Roger, just had a thought, could it also be due to the fast rotation effect of Jupiter?  This article gives some advice on processing to "de rotate" the image using particular stacking parameters. Your image shares a little similarity in effect with one of the examples shown. 

https://www.planetary-astronomy-and-imaging.com/en/maximum-video-time-jupiter/

Jim 

juprotate4mnWJAS.gif

Edited by saac