Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astroberry and Pi HQ Camera - Has anyone got this to work?

Frostice

Hi,

Apologies if this has been answered before / solved before but I've just spent many hours trying to find the answer and I'm still non the wiser. I was under the belief that you could use the Pi HQ camera with astroberry for imaging but I'm having no luck at all. So far I've made sure the camera is enabled in config, tested the camera works from the terminal and  I've added the missing xml file so that the camera appears in the device manager local drivers list. However I still can't get anything to work. If I go to Kstars and Ekos and set the RPI camera as local I just get Starting Indi Services and then nothing. If I try it as remote I just get Unable to remotely establish RPI camera.

Has anyone successfully used the PI HQ camera with Astroberry or can anyone point me to a guide to help set it up please?

• Like 1

Many will say that Pi HQ sensor is too small and not suitable for AP, but I think it would be interesting little project. I went different route and made all sky camera following Chad's video.

1663264260459836800169548052451.thumb.jpg.fb6465c09df687ff26f1ec0d98e68555.jpg

To answer your question, I remember while back seeing something that might be of interest in MagPi. 

https://magpi.raspberrypi.com/articles/hubble-pi

spacer.png

Apparently, he got KStars running and using the Pi HQ camera. Might be worth checking out his GitHub repo for details.

spacer.png

Good luck and be sure to let us know your progress.

Hi Frostice I have it running. Even made RpiCamerax2 driver with hard-coded binning to make it useful for guiding. 

It is capable of capturing long exposures, and as guiding camera. Unfortunately it is not best choice for planetary imaging.

You must be sure that you are not using it with dtoverlay=imx477, that will make camera use new libcamera api, and you are interested in legacy, mmal, implementation that is used in Rpi Camera driver in INDI. 

Can you share your /boot/config.txt 

and this command 

astroberry@astroberry:~ $ v4l2-ctl --list-devices

bcm2835-codec-decode (platform:bcm2835-codec):

/dev/video10

/dev/video11

/dev/video12

/dev/video18

/dev/video31

bcm2835-isp (platform:bcm2835-isp):

/dev/video13

/dev/video14