Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New camera first light

Got my new camera and lens, Canon 2000d and 50mm f1.8 stm prime. 

Here's my first images with them, constructive critics welcomed as always. 

1hr 40mins exposure, 4 Darks, 20 Bias, 20 Flats. Imaged over two nights. 300s subs.

Processed in pixinsight then tweaked in photoshop. 

This is the full image

result.thumb.png.35b650a0714d3643f01bc2b00e4d6748.png

And this is a crop of the nebula and main area of interest with a further level stretch and contrast curve adjustment. 

result_photoshop_crop_tweaks.thumb.png.e50012800dc9880fcbd06af53ed7e8de.png

I think the data is good, the stars are roundish but I had to stop the lens down to f5 and theres an obvious lp gradient in there. Possibly a shorter sub time would have been better. Overall I still need to improve my processing but I'm loving pixinsight. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Paul2019 said:

I'm loving pixinsight. 

Not something I can agree with. I have PI, but I find it like playing pass-the-parcel with boxing gloves on😁

I assume your camera is not modified. This would really help picking up the Ha signal. But if you have good stars at 300s that's good.

I would not bother with darks with the 200d as it will probably add more noise than it removes, especially with 4.

5 hours ago, Clarkey said:

Not something I can agree with. I have PI, but I find it like playing pass-the-parcel with boxing gloves on😁

I assume your camera is not modified. This would really help picking up the Ha signal. But if you have good stars at 300s that's good.

I would not bother with darks with the 200d as it will probably add more noise than it removes, especially with 4.

Thanks for your reply, I’ll look at possibly adding some more darks and seeing the results or differences in them. 

I like pixinsight I think because I’m colourblind so it removes an element of guesswork in that area. 

Cam isn’t modified and I’m not sure I’ll bother but instead look at upgrading to a dedicated 

6 hours ago, Paul2019 said:

I’ll look at possibly adding some more darks and seeing the results or differences in them.

Try just using Bias, Flats & Flat-Darks with the 2000D. The Darks with a DSLR don't tend to do very much and, as Clarkey said above, they can add noise to your image.

There does seem to be a gradient at the bottom of the image, possibly LP, so try using DBE along with BackgroundNeutralization in Pixinsight. ;)