NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What telescope?

hi all need some advice.My first posting.I've had 2 scopes over the years , a 6 inch Newt (goto) and currently a ETX 70 and only found the moon.Changed tatics last year bought a planisphere and binos.I now want a half decent scope.Prefer a short scope due to space. Tempted by cd80 edr which i could use for astrophotography as well. Tryed to find Gt model but can only find cd100edr-gt.Thought for GT model would save buying motors for tracking.Seen a SKY-WATCHER sky max180 pro ota only on E Bay (close by so able to check if ok) Been advised to buy imaging equip. with scope as it's easier to find objects.Is this true?Any advice on scopes mentioned or suggestions welcomed.

thanks

Jason

What was he problem with the Newtonian and the ETX70?

Both were/are goto's and would be capable of locating objects in the sky, or at least getting you close enough that you could do the centering manually. The ETX may be a bit small but would show up several items other then the moon.:):icon_eek:

I cannot see how putting some imaging items on the end will help in locating anything. The idea is to locate the objects then take the pictures. I am not into the imaging field but it seems a strange thing to say.:)

If you were having problems with a goto system then to image you will need something pretty close. The mount will need to be motorised in order to track the objects that you intend to image. Also although previous systems were goto and needed to be set up a motorised mount also needs to be set up in much the same way otherwise the tracking will be out and you won't get a steady image.

Archived