NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Asterion Variseat Astronomy Chair

Hello Proxima,

Yes I have it, a recent purchase used on about 6 occasions so far. With the essential caveat of "One man's meat is another man's poison" here are my initial impressions.

My example is well constructed (with precise welds) of suitably robust metal, and the fitting of the black crosspieces (or feet) is both solid and well engineered to resist twist. The quality of finish is high and all is finished with a hard wearing powder coat (?) that is well applied with no runs or flaws. However, the black plastic end caps fitted on to the end of the black cross pieces (these contact the ground) whilst being  perfectly adequate when used on wood or grass will likely wear badly if dragged around on concete or paving slabs. The padding of the seat is generous and the covering is extreemly well sewn and attached (no staple guns used here) and for me the angle of the chair back is most comfortable giving more of a sit upon experiance as opposed to the something  that you perch on experiance that some chairs provide. It is lighter than my previous seat by Mey and more convenient in use.

In use the distance between the front of the seat at its lowest setting and the far side of the backstay i.e. the maximum front to back measurement is circa 88cms, essential to know if you are short of space in a small dome. For me at 6ft 2 inch and 15 stone it feels both solid and safe and gives enough range of adjustment to view near the horizon and at the zenith with my excessively front heavy 130 mm refractors provided the tripod or pier is at set at the optimal height. 

The only NEGATIVE is that it can be initially, 'til you get the hang of it, a little fiddly to adjust the height of the seat. The black nylon (?) cams shown below MUST be located precisely into the semi circular indentations (you will note they are stepped with both a smaller and a larger diameter, the smaller is the one that locates into the indentations). If the cams are made longer (and this I did - then quickly undid!) they foul the backstay when adjusting the height. If you look carefully you will note where the backstay is located a cap head screw, then  the main frame, two washers, followed by the backstay and out of sight a nyloc nut. This very tight clearance gives good resistance to twist and is I guess the reason for the dimensions of the black cams. D6A5C64D-98B4-4A16-AE01-F1BAE0D4E253.thumb.jpeg.3bd023e6afd8e655ca6115e1711d0f85.jpeg

If the cams are not correctly located the seat will twist and fall off the frame. This was for me an initial concern but in use after a little practice it becomes very easy to both adjust the seat height in the dark and to check that all is well (a sideways wiggle of the chair seat just prior to sitting does it for me). Having said that, once installed correctly it is hard for the seat to come adrift in use unless picked up by the front of the squab - a BIG NO, NO. The chair can be moved around by the tubular, horizontal  handle (above the A cutout) and tilted every which way and all is well. After a few nights use, for me the chair inspires confidence and is way more comfortable to sit on than my previous chair. The seat is genrously deep front to back and doesn't seem to mind how you sit on it on it perched on the front, sat well back, or perched on the corners it just does its job. The white finish looks very smart and having walked into my black chair many times, white is the one I went for.

Modifications Note: you can just see a white nylon stop on the backstay lower left of the above picture - this is not original but something I added to locate the seat when it is collapsed for transport. Also I have fitted very slightly longer cap head screws to fix the black nylon cams - the originals screws almost (but didn't quite) support them for their entire width - probably a quite unecessary mod. A further note on the cams as I have strayed into Cam Territory , Black Nylon (if nylon it be) .........  I am a little unsure of the long term suitability of this material for its intended use  - I mean I am sure it will outlast me (at an age that I am certainly not going to admit to) but for a fifty year service life? Dunno! Mere speculation on my part, others with an engineering background will know better. However I have no way of knowing one way or the other ... other than, so far so good!

A8EC5300-126D-4223-BE03-16341F14762E.thumb.jpeg.4db7815bd2c7734e90d5973d49590ef9.jpeg

When used at maximum extension this generic footstool (intermittently to be found at Lidl I guess) is a match made in heaven.

A final note: the Asterion seat can accomodate bumpy grass and slight slopes beter than my Mey Musician's Chair which in its defense has had its safety stop blocks removed to adjust the seat lower. But the Mey seat sqab split, it screeches loudly when adjusted and it has banged my shins once too many times - it is also very heavy (although doubtless well designed for its intended use by a double base player or percussionist).

The Asterion left; The Mey right - the Mey does not go as low even with the safety stops removed nor does it go as high BUT it is more compact front to back if space is limited and it trundles along on back wheels most happily if tilted

BBFDCE94-6AFD-43C4-AD4F-E2D8A6DE8A88.thumb.jpeg.da540fc97d60fada5d6a06d7eb51e825.jpeg

Hence the new purchase of the Asterion. In conclusion there are seats by Berlebach that you might look at - I thought them to be a little too expensive (Berlebach have already had postitively oodles and noodles of my money) and anecdotally I have read (but do not know first hand) that their seat padding is a little less than generous.

If I lost it would I buy the Asterion again? Sure, yes indeedy and quite quickly!

Note my comments apply to my particular example - something that is not emphasised often enough.

Michael

Edited by Split Zygote2
One too many pictures inserted themselves!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1