Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What can I see from the Equator in September?

I’m off to the Serengeti, Tanzania, in September. We will be camping in Northern Serengeti (approximately 3 degrees S) and I am hoping that I may get a glimpse of the LMC (Especially the Tarantula Nebula), SMC and 47 Tuc while I am there. According to SkySafari, these will rise above the horizon to the south. What do you think? Is it possible that I could get a good view of these?  SkySafari looks like this might be possible although they will be fairly low in the sky. I’m also trying to decide whether to bring my FC76-DCU or just my binoculars. Any opinions would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance!

2157FDE5-A620-4A1E-AA79-DB0BF1740250.png

0EAAC868-47FB-4525-9ECF-3ABB922A10B2.png

• Like 1

Hi @Nicola Fletcher, I'm struggling to wrap my head around what you'll see in relation to my view down here in Melbourne which is sort of upside down to yours. 

It is great that you'll be able to see 47Tuc which is my favorite globular cluster, a really beautiful sight and more impressive than Omega Centauri which is bigger but lacks the brilliant centre of 47Tuc.

The Tarantula is a great nebula and will look even better with a UHC or 0111 filter. 

I'm not sure you will be able to see the Carina Nebula or Southern Cross which would be a shame as both are wonderful, Carina has so much to offer with some magical clusters around it and again will be improved with a filter. It is easily the equal of the Orion Nebula if not better. 

Fingers crossed for clear dark skies for you, good luck!  😀

I'm currently in the south of France with the 76DCU and a pair of binoculars in very dark skies. If you can, bring both! I have spent just as much time with the binoculars sweeping the milky way as with the scope.

That being said, you'll almost certainly want binoculars for game viewing so maybe they should be the priority?

Malcolm 

Wow I’m jealous.

At 10pm on 2nd Sep Jupiter will be 25 degrees up and Saturn 65 degrees up, both rising higher during the night. Most of your familiar constellations will be nearly upside down compared to the same date here in Ireland. Cygnus will be pointing up left for example. Lyra and Hercules will seem upside down. Ursa Minor will be on the horizon! The MW centre will be 60 degrees up but on, say, 2 Sep you’ll have a 39% waxing Moon, ie getting brighter day by day with full moon on 10th Sep. The LMC and SMC won’t be terribly convenient, reaching only to 20 or so degrees up at 5am and 2am respectively.

Binoculars of at least 30mm aperture for wildlife are essential though, I find 20-25mm binoculars, even expensive ones, highly unsatisfying.

Cheers, Magnus

Thanks @Captain Scarlet and @MalcolmM!

I’m still thinking of whether the scope is essential- but a good pair of binos is which I have. I can’t wait to see these - it blows my mind that these will be upside down.

Thank you both very much for your help and I hope I’ll report back with some interesting observations.

14 hours ago, Nicola Fletcher said:

Thanks @Captain Scarlet and @MalcolmM!

I’m still thinking of whether the scope is essential- but a good pair of binos is which I have. I can’t wait to see these - it blows my mind that these will be upside down.

Thank you both very much for your help and I hope I’ll report back with some interesting observations.

Whatever you choose have a great time! I'm very envious :)

Malcolm 

• Like 1