Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ngc3359 and its companion, the Little Cub, revisited

wimvb

In March I tried to image the compact blue galaxy Little Cub in the constellation Ursa Major (Great Bear, hence the galaxy's name) together with its big companion ngc 3359. Since then I have added more luminance and even collected Ha data for this image. The integration time is 28 hrs and 46 minutes.

I never really got around processing this data, but recently I bought a new computer (with i9 processor), calibrated its display, and upgraded my version of PixInsight. I decided to test the upgraded image processing gear by redoing this image from raw subs.

The added data didn't do much to enhance the Little Cub, but I did manage to isolate two unidentified stellar regions near the larger galaxy. These are most likely either extensions of the spiral arms, or dwarf galaxies.

Here's the final result

ngc3359_WBPP_LHaRGB.thumb.png.0d2b14e4634635a82aac3d2d2c04847b.png

More information on my Astrobin page.

https://www.astrobin.com/x4zhbz/

• Like 7

I did a bit of homework on the faint fuzzies in the background. Managed to get quite a few. Quasars with redshift up to 2.8 (whatever that is in lightyears) and galaxies up to 6.3 billion Ly distant (z=0.48). Plus a few unidentified objects that are most likely dwarf satellite galaxies belonging to ngc 3359.

The streaks at the top are reflections from a bright star (HD 93551) just outside the fov. I didn't remove them from this image.

ngc3359_WBPP_L_inv_annotated.thumb.png.c1c2b9c35e7b57c127c609de978de6ba.png

QSO: Quasy Stellar Object

ClG: Cluster of Galaxies

BCG: Brightest galaxy in a cluster

WD: White Dwarf (there is even a brown dwarf  in the fov, but those are a bit hard to capture 😄 )

Edited by wimvb
  • Like 3