NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NINA

is the tab saying slew and centre the same now ? I was watching a video tutorial and noticed my latest build of Nina just says slew and centre I'm now thinking this is the same thing .

am I correct in thinking wherever I place the framing box on the target it will  slew and centre on that even when platesolving ?

11 hours ago, ninjageezer said:

why can I not find the recentre tab in Nina on the framing page    ....what am i missing ?

If you move the framing box, then press 'load image' to re-centre your view

1 hour ago, ninjageezer said:

am I correct in thinking wherever I place the framing box on the target it will  slew and centre on that

That is my experience - move the box then press 'slew' to or 'slew and centre' and it will use the new coordinates regardless of whether you have pressed 'load image' to refresh the screen. 

1 hour ago, ninjageezer said:

even when platesolving

Not sure what you mean by this - the 'centre' in 'slew and centre' IS platesolving. 

HTH

Ady

Edited by adyj1

2 hours ago, adyj1 said:

If you move the framing box, then press 'load image' to re-centre your view

That is my experience - move the box then press 'slew' to or 'slew and centre' and it will use the new coordinates regardless of whether you have pressed 'load image' to refresh the screen. 

Not sure what you mean by this - the 'centre' in 'slew and centre' IS platesolving. 

HTH

Ady

Thanks Ady ,what i meant was when you slew and centre will it platesolve in the exact position you place the framing  if that makes sense. 

4 hours ago, ninjageezer said:

is the tab saying slew and centre the same now ? I was watching a video tutorial and noticed my latest build of Nina just says slew and centre I'm now thinking this is the same thing .

The Slew to target button is now a Slew and centre drop down box. There is a Slew option in the drop down if you want to move to the target without plate solving.

2 hours ago, ninjageezer said:

Thanks Ady ,what i meant was when you slew and centre will it platesolve in the exact position you place the framing  if that makes sense. 

... and that's what I didn't understand 😉 

Slewing is telling your mount to go to the exact co-ordinates provided by the framing wizard (i.e. where the box is located on your screen). However, because the accuracy of most of our mounts is not observatory-grade, the mechanical tolerances mean it will likely only be close. ish. Particularly on a long slew 😉 

As your slewed location is therefore unlikely to be the exact co-ordinates the mount *thought* it had slewed to, Platesolving is used to take a picture and tell the mount the *actual* co-ordinates it is pointing to. A bit like a back seat driver 😂

NINA will then know the mount isn't pointing where it should be and instruct it to slew again, and as the mount will be quite close to the target co-ordinates, this second slew will hopefully be more accurate. NINA will repeat platesolving - telling the mount where it is actually pointing,until the results match the co-ordinates provided by the framing wizard. 

HTH

Ady

(I hope I've correctly understood your question - apologies if I've ended up teaching you to suck eggs..) 

Edited by adyj1

On 03/07/2022 at 15:28, adyj1 said:

... and that's what I didn't understand 😉 

Slewing is telling your mount to go to the exact co-ordinates provided by the framing wizard (i.e. where the box is located on your screen). However, because the accuracy of most of our mounts is not observatory-grade, the mechanical tolerances mean it will likely only be close. ish. Particularly on a long slew 😉 

As your slewed location is therefore unlikely to be the exact co-ordinates the mount *thought* it had slewed to, Platesolving is used to take a picture and tell the mount the *actual* co-ordinates it is pointing to. A bit like a back seat driver 😂

NINA will then know the mount isn't pointing where it should be and instruct it to slew again, and as the mount will be quite close to the target co-ordinates, this second slew will hopefully be more accurate. NINA will repeat platesolving - telling the mount where it is actually pointing,until the results match the co-ordinates provided by the framing wizard. 

HTH

Ady

(I hope I've correctly understood your question - apologies if I've ended up teaching you to suck eggs..) 

no worries ive got it sussed out now many thanks.