SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New bunch of ZWO planetary cams

CraigT82

My IMX571 APS-C cooled DSO camera has the exact same framerate in 8-bit mode 640x480 resolution capture as the 678MC with the same resolution and bit depth. Both are limited by USB3 bandwith at first and SSD write speed second soon after the memory buffer fills up and the computer cant keep up. So looking at speed is rather useless when both operate under the same limitations. 

The real difference between the 571 and 678 is in pixel size and bulk. Smaller pixels means a shorter barlow will get you to critical sampling than with the bigger pixel camera. Using a long barlow with a big and bulky camera has a higher risk to cause miscollimation due to tilt somewhere in the imaging train, whereas the very light planetary camera has little to no risk of tilt with a decent focuser.

• 2 months later...

Hi, 

I have the ASI678MC and finally my ASI224MC can rest on the Evoguide 50ED for purpose of guiding. I'm going to use the 678 with my Starwave 102ED F/11, they match perfectly to each other.

https://www.astropix.com/html/astrophotography/astrophotography-calculators.html#ispp

There are also Baader 2" UV/IR Cut and ZWO ADC in the path. 

The camera offers a lot of ROI formats. Because of a poor PA I had to use 2160x2160 for #3131 sunspot. It was moving across the field, but I'm happy of the result. Please be aware that it was only around 3/5 of seeing (a jet stream >20m/s). I still wait for the perfect air condition.

2ms exposures and only 30fps was enough to fill out my laptop's SSD transfer. 22 AVIs 5000 frames each one means over 400GB of data! That's crazy! 😁

Edited by Vroobel

5 hours ago, Vroobel said:

Hi, 

I have the ASI678MC and finally my ASI224MC can rest on the Evoguide 50ED for purpose of guiding. I'm going to use the 678 with my Starwave 102ED F/11, they match perfectly to each other.

https://www.astropix.com/html/astrophotography/astrophotography-calculators.html#ispp

There are also Baader 2" UV/IR Cut and ZWO ADC in the path. 

The camera offers a lot of ROI formats. Because of a poor PA I had to use 2160x2160 for #3131 sunspot. It was moving across the field, but I'm happy of the result. Please be aware that it was only around 3/5 of seeing (a jet stream >20m/s). I still wait for the perfect air condition.

2ms exposures and only 30fps was enough to fill out my laptop's SSD transfer. 22 AVIs 5000 frames each one means over 400GB of data! That's crazy! 😁

Yep, the 678 eats harddrive space real fast. With lunar i fill my 240gb SSD and a complimentary 128gb USB stick in no time at all and most of my nights out with the 678 are hard capped to available space, not the weather.

That's why yesterday I equipped my laptop with second internal 1TB SSD. Windows 11, all installed software and documents are kept on the main SSD, while the second one is only for the astrophotography purpose. Thankfully the 1TB SSD by Intel is 4.5x cheaper than the camera 🤣

• Like 1