Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Focuser upgrade for Skywatcher refractor conundrum

I am using a Skywatcher Startravel 102t as my travel scope for observing only. I didn't like the way it focused so I installed a Skywatcher electronic focuser I had lying around but that has not been a success, there is some gremlin in the OTA focus tube that the motor in the auto focuser is not powerful enough to overcome.

Consequently I'm looking for an alternative, there is the Skywatcher offering at about £185 and an AstroEssentials version, slightly cheaper. I have just seen an alternative version by Lacerta on the 365Astronomy site that simply a replacement for spindle thingy with a 1:10 gearing which is about £80. I know that physically there is a big difference between them , the Lacerta not replacing the tube but as my main goal is to achieve finer focus control I'm wondering if the cheaper focus controller will achieve what I want.

I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with the Lacerta?

https://www.365astronomy.com/lacerta-dual-speed-1-10-microfocus-upgrade-kit-for-skywatcher-crayford-focusers

Edited by LaurenceT
  • Like 1