NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

hi all long time no see hi i have just purchased a Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2 from First light optics, amazingly helpfull place, also thanks to peter struve who is always helpful to me, but here the real help needed, i wanna buy some more eyepieces for my new scope, what ones would be good to get, also if theres anygood lense sets if anyone knows off just let me know, not toooo expensive but if anyone can help me with advice on what lenses to buy,

Kelly X

That's a nice scope, very similar to my reflector, and will reward spending a little more on eps. I'm a bit of a minimalist, and don't think you need a lot of eps. My own main kit is three eps, as you see below. The Speers-Walers have AFOVs of 82 degrees, at about $150 each in Canada, and the W70 has a nice 67º AFOV for $70, or about twice the price of a Plossl, with a better eye relief.

Meade series 4000s seem to be good choices, too. With three or four good eps and a Barlow, you can cover a lot of range With my scope and eps I cover 31x to 348x (OK, that's pushing my scope a bit, but I don't use it often) and a lot of choices in between.

Talk to Steve about it, he won't lead you far wrong.

Hello "Kelly,"

Yes, I would agree with "Warthog" re eyepieces. Go for "quality" rather than quantity!

Meade eyepieces are a good choice for good quality eyepieces, at a reasonable price. Celestron are good too.

Good idea to talk to Steve from FLO. Also, once you have an idea of the makes and sizes of eyepieces you are looking for, you could post a wanted add on here, and I'm sure someone on SGL will have what you are looking for - at a very reasonable price.

I have found that one can build up a very nice set of quality (second hand) eyepieces for a reaonable amount of money.

You have a great scope in the Skywatcher 150P, and a decent set of eyepieces will really bring out the best in it!

You are going about obtaining the best eyepieces by asking! It's much better than just looking at what's advertised and buying new. 99% of eyepieces that are for sale from various companies, are indeed of excellent quality and capabilities - but they are not all suitable for all scopes. I'm sure many of us on SGL have "wasted" lots of money buying what is a superb eyepiece in its own right, but when purchased, has been found quite unsuitable for the scope we have. (I've done this myself spending over £75 on an eyepiece which proved unsuitable for the scope I had at the time).

I'm sure you will get lots of advice from other members soon!

Best wishes,

philsail1

Archived