Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Explore scientific iEXOS 100 PMC 8 Polar Alignment Precision.

nubs292

Hello,

for anybody who has experience with the ES iEXOS 100 PMC 8 mount, how precise can you get the polar alignment without the azimuth adjuster and polar scope, just looking through the hole in the mount? I want to use this mount with 300 mm optics, but I don't really know if it is absolutely necessary spend extra 100$ on the azimuth adjuser or the polar scope.

Thanks!

I use a small green pen laser rather than look through the hole to get it close to Polaris (although I rarely use this mount now). I put the flat end of the laser (after unscrewing a lens part which gives a speckled laser pattern, which I am not sure what that is used for) flush against the bottom of the sighting hole on the mount, then activate the laser beam in shorts burst to align with Polaris using the adjustments on the mount for this. With care you can get it to shine up out of the hole OK. Obviously if you use this method  make sure there are no planes/helicopters etc in the air as you do this, and only keep the laser on for very short bursts to align in on Polaris. You would need to check in your country as to what the laws are for using a laser pen just to make sure you don’t fall foul of the law though if you do use this method.

Edited by Knighty2112
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nubs292 said:

Hello,

for anybody who has experience with the ES iEXOS 100 PMC 8 mount, how precise can you get the polar alignment without the azimuth adjuster and polar scope, just looking through the hole in the mount? I want to use this mount with 300 mm optics, but I don't really know if it is absolutely necessary spend extra 100$ on the azimuth adjuser or the polar scope.

Thanks!

I assume this is not much different from polar aligning the EQ5 mount which also has a central hole.  Rather than crouching to peer through the hole, it is actually easier to mount a scope in the 'home' position and use its finder, followed by a look through the main scope (at low power) to confirm you have the mount set in the right direction.  You should then be able to look throuh the axis (probably after moving the scope to horizontal) to confirm you can see Polaris.  In an urban environment, the extra light grasp of a polarscope makes it easier to see Polaris and fine-tune the alignment.

If you have got this far, this ia more than good enough for visual use, but if you are taking images with a long focal length and long exposures it may be necessary to tweak the alignment further. In which case I think you will need the polarscope and polar adjuster, which will certainly make the process less trying.   Note that there are electronic methods of gaining an accurate polar alignment for imaging purposes (which assume you have mechanical adjusters that work smoothly).

I assume 300mm is the focal length??

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

I assume this is not much different from polar aligning the EQ5 mount which also has a central hole.  Rather than crouching to peer through the hole, it is actually easier to mount a scope in the 'home' position and use its finder, followed by a look through the main scope (at low power) to confirm you have the mount set in the right direction.  You should then be able to look throuh the axis (probably after moving the scope to horizontal) to confirm you can see Polaris.  In an urban environment, the extra light grasp of a polarscope makes it easier to see Polaris and fine-tune the alignment.

If you have got this far, this ia more than good enough for visual use, but if you are taking images with a long focal length and long exposures it may be necessary to tweak the alignment further. In which case I think you will need the polarscope and polar adjuster, which will certainly make the process less trying.   Note that there are electronic methods of gaining an accurate polar alignment for imaging purposes (which assume you have mechanical adjusters that work smoothly).

I assume 300mm is the focal length??

Thanks! Yes, 300 mm is my focal length, I shoot with a camera lens and DSLR.