SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Time for a change, opinions.

Ok, so I've kinda decided on swapping out my SW ED80 with a Sharpstar 76 Triplet. I have been running a side by side setup with the ED80/ASI294 and a startravel 80/ASI290mc guider. All working well and guiding is great but need something a bit better corrected so going with the SS.

Now, i'm also thinking of ditching the star travel too and going for a smaller 50mm guide scope and then balancing the side by side rig with something for occasional lunar/planetary EAA/imaging, nothing fancy just something to use to fill in nights where targets are slim pickings or summer when nights are too short for serious imaging. 

I'm thinking something s/h, maybe an ioptron 6" RC, Celestron C5 or skymax 127.

What do you think would be the best choice? Am I missing something obvious? 

The Skymax 127 was on my list, but I rejected it in favour of the flatter field of the RC6 as I wanted to do imaging. The RC6 is not as small or portable as I imagined it would be as it has a baffled tube and lots of back focus, but the Crayford focusser is nice and smooth.

9 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

The Skymax 127 was on my list, but I rejected it in favour of the flatter field of the RC6 as I wanted to do imaging. The RC6 is not as small or portable as I imagined it would be as it has a baffled tube and lots of back focus, but the Crayford focusser is nice and smooth.

The skymax is looking promising, my main imagining rig will sit alongside it, it's really just there to fill in some time and play about with when the moon is in the way or the odd planet is in a good position.