NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

camera power draw

bomberbaz

Hello, I am trying to figure out whether I need a bigger power supply now as I have more kit being attached to it. Currently using an old power tank battery which long since lost it's external case but I am considering a lithium alternative.

As well as the camera, mount and Air, I have a peltier cooling mod which I know draws 2.3 aH, the rest I am trying to figure.

So does anybody know how much power uncooled zwo cameras draw and also the AIR Plus?

I believe the AZ GTi mount draw is next to nothing so I am not really concerned about that.

TIA

Steve

If uncooled camera will work on USB 2.0 port - then it draws max 0.5A on 5V. If it can work only on USB 3.0 - then it draws max 0.9A at 5V.

As for ZWO computer - look at the specs on their website:

They recommend (quite wide range) 2-5A at 12V

This is probably due to 12V ports that it provides - maybe base consumption is 2A at 12V and other 3A are for these additional ports?

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, vlaiv said:

If uncooled camera will work on USB 2.0 port - then it draws max 0.5A on 5V. If it can work only on USB 3.0 - then it draws max 0.9A at 5V.

As for ZWO computer - look at the specs on their website:

They recommend (quite wide range) 2-5A at 12V

This is probably due to 12V ports that it provides - maybe base consumption is 2A at 12V and other 3A are for these additional ports?

Thanks vlaiv, good point about the variable power for ZWO plus the USB 3.

Assuming the maximum load of the two camera and cooling mod I get 4.1A.

The ZWO raspberry will also draw something and there is a very small draw for the mount so will work on assumption of 5A for all components. 

If the cooling mod is drawing too much power for the computer AIR I could bypass it and go direct to power supply but going via the AIR makes it far tidier. 

cheers

steve