SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

asiair - Here's how to make your USB stick writable over the network

powerlord

Hi chaps,

Now I've got my obsy I'd rather not be carting in and out my usb sticks on my asiairs all the time, and just access the subs over the network. However out the box the samba shares asiair creates are read only - meaning you can't delete the files without either doing it laboriously from the asiair app, or by removing the usb stick, plugging into a pc, and doing from there.

If you want to make the network share writable here is how to.

WARNING: do at your own risk. if you brick your sdcard don't blame me. BACKUP SDCARD FIRST!!! YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE THAT ANYWAY, AS IF YOU LOSE IT OR IT BECOMES CORRUPT YOU'RE STUFFED. SEARCH FOR HOW TO DO THIS. FOR MAC - IT'S APPLE PI-BAKER. ENSURE YOU TEST THAT THE BACKUP WORKS!!

Right that out the way, you need to plug your sdcard into a linux pc. If you don't have one, you can use a virtual machine of say, ubunto 10. use either the free vmware player or virtual box, etc.

Once you've started that, mount the sdcard and you need to mount that has linux on it (/bin, /etc, /root, directories).

you want to open an editor for /etc/samba/smb.conf

this is the samba config.

go down to the bit that talks about the Images shares (there are two). and after the line that says guest access = yes add the lines

force user = pi

force group = pi

in both sections.

save the file.

That's it, stick the sdcard back in the asiair and boot it. You should now find that when you access the network shares you can add files, delete files, etc.

note, this also means you could perhaps setup plans remotely using some other tools, but I havn't tried that yet.

stu