EQ3 Synscan - Clutch engaged or not???

dazzystar

Hi All,

This may be a really stupid question but I was thinking last night that if I have to engage the clutch to stop the mount from moving when not in use, do I need to disengage them when it is in use? In other words, if the motors are fighting the clutch when it's engaged that can't be a good thing!

Cheers
Daz

The "clutches" are a couple of friction plates (cork disks). These must be in contact with each other (clutches engaged) to allow the motors to drives the mount. When the clutches are released the friction plates are separated allowing the mount to be moved by hand. I suspect that your definition of clutches engaged and released are opposite to what happens in the mount. 

Best way to think of it is that the clutches are really just "locks".  The motors drive a shaft and thus the shaft doesn't move unless driven by the motors.  The mount can rotate around the shaft when the "locks" are released, and as such wouldn't get moved when the motors are running.  Engauge the "locks" to grip the shaft and thus the mount now only moves under the power of the motors.

• Like 1