Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSLR or Astro cam for moon and planets?

cpsTN

My current telescope is a Celestron Omni 150, it's 6in f/5 Newtonian on Orion's Skyview Pro GEM, undriven. Not that the type of telescope that I'm using matters necessarily but I thought I would give you the information. I am tiring of having to continually rotate the tube to put the eyepiece in a good position because I do use it a visually more, so I'm considering replacing it with a Mak in the 5 - 7 inch range.

Anyway, I currently have a relatively new Canon DSLR (2000D) and I was wondering if since I'm having to buy a new laptop for processing because my old one is after the task any longer, I was wondering if I should just image with the DSLR or would it be a better or worth the price I guess to move to dedicated Astro camera for this? I would still keep that the DSLR.

I'd get some use out of the dslr first. They work well for lunar, not so much for planetary as you need to take a lot of frames due to seeing conditions and then stack the frames, an astro camera with usb 3 connection is ideal for this. With lunar you can take single frames and still get sharp images.

• Like 1

Lunar is my primary goal here. From what I understand the field of view for the planetary cameras is much narrower on average depending on the camera of course then your average DSLR and not but I guess I could borrow the hell out of my DS all are if that's the case. Although with a DSLR at Full Resolution I will be getting 24-megapixel images and I could crop somewhat using medium power.

If you want full disk then dSLR is ideal, if you want details of craters etc then a dedicated camera is better.  Both these images were taken through a 200P on HEQ5

Firstly using a Canon 400D body attached (prime focus)

moon2.png.cc64d02038755380d109a4586338a9f9.png

The image below was taken with an SPC900 Philips CCD webcam (640x480 max)

Moon3.png.72c43db7137fb13722a8bf54bc9778bd.png

And finally this one was taken with an MS Livecam HD web cam

1077475577_moon28_06_201221_55_39.thumb.png.955391bee3f37ab18bbdd1e2d8f83d19.png

So if I could get those results using £50 web cams, I'm sure that dedicated planetary astro cams would give even finer resolution

• Like 1