NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Revelation 20x100 Bins, brief first light

Stardust

These are BIG Binoculars, a tripod is essential unless you have very large image stabilized hands. I use a Manfrotto with a geared head which makes using these a breeze.

They come supplied in a sturdy alluminium case and these ones have flip in/out nebula filters which work quite well.

I picked them up 7th March which as per the norm for any new equipment was cloudy, very cloudy infact. Did manage 40 mins the next evening before the clouds moved in.

I managed to get a look at Venus, very nice crescent, crisp and no flaring. Next was the Moon, just had to be done, it's coming up to full but the image was stunning. Really nice contrast of the dark/light areas and lovely sharp craters. There was a bit of colour fringing but not enough to bother me.

The Pliedes was an easy target and showed well and I then turned to M42. The sky was awash with Moonlight so it wasn't ideal conditions but with averted vision was ok. I then remembered the nebula filters, they just slide in with easliy usings your thumbs. I was surprised how these improved the image, look to be a worth while addition. Then the clouds came.

It was a very quick session but I'm looking forward to spending some more time with these bins, very impressed.

The only drawback for me is they come with winged solid eyecups, no good for me as I need to wear my specs. These unclip ok but I end up knocking my glasses against the metal. Some simple soft rubber ones would have been better for me, but that's a small thing.

I was lucky enough to win these in the monthly draw that Telescope House do, so I'd strongly recommend you get youselves some prize cards and check the website every month.

Dave

You had a pretty good first light Dave.

Won in a monthly draw! Nice one :)

I hope you will now join in the new binocular forum in the observing section and give us another report when the skies clear again.

The CA seems to be well controlled with what you have said on your views of Venus.

Clear Skies.

Glen.

Archived