NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orrery

cajen2

I bought this from a charity shop to give to my partner's grandson. It turned out to be a (quite complex) kit and totally unsuitable for a five-year-old, so I assembled and painted it (badly!) myself. It's supposed to be solar powered butΒ  the gear resistance is so high I doubt if it'll work.

As you can see, it's scientifically accurate and to scale!πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†

IMG_20220209_120935.thumb.jpg.3d159c63326480a3af17b0a3abfc0ea8.jpg

• Like 4

No, obviously, the one nearest is Neptune! πŸ˜„ The Earth is covered by transparent plastic, presumably indicating atmosphere. It's annoying, because first I carefully painted the continents and icecaps, but when you put the 'atmosphere' on, you can hardly see them! πŸ˜₯πŸ˜†

1 hour ago, cajen2 said:

No, obviously, the one nearest is Neptune! πŸ˜„ The Earth is covered by transparent plastic, presumably indicating atmosphere. It's annoying, because first I carefully painted the continents and icecaps, but when you put the 'atmosphere' on, you can hardly see them! πŸ˜₯πŸ˜†

That’s right I think because I think if you look really really carefully you find lots of the very small people can’t see through it the other way either!

• Haha 1