NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher 10” dob fine tuning help

Hi All

I just fitted a used Lacerta focuser upgrade that I got on this site. Not only is it smoother to use but the coarse tuning knob is wider & smaller, which allows me more space around it & the focuser base place to operate. I had it out on Sunday night viewing the moon & Orion and the upgrade was well worth the price 

I’d bought the dob earlier last year. It was literally assembled but never used. I was never happy with the assembly as the tube would squeak when tilted forward or backwards. Also it is very stiff to swivel the base ( I had a 8” version years ago bought from a very experienced guy who used this site regularly & the scope would manoeuvre perfectly in every direction). I believe the squeaking came from the 4no cylinder saddle side bearings & noticed one wasn’t attached squarely so hopefully that might be sorted. I’m aware that the round base shouldn’t rotate too freely but I’m finding it frustrating to nudge the scope at higher magnification. Is there any tips out there from knowledgeable members or links I can use to make the base more servisable? Hopefully all this makes sense & thanks in advance of any replies Joe

D9F9C993-99CF-4B19-B0F5-48E129146A91.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi  Apologies for the late response but I’ve only just seen this. I managed to pick up a nearly new used one that was for sale on this forum as they couldn’t be bought new anywhere.

I tried Google again using different suggestions & found a few tips such as using Teflon pads, Lazy Susan rotators etc. I don’t know how to add the links & have yet to try out anything yet 

Thinking back to the 250 I used to own. It was somewhat neglected when I bought it.

This had motor drives, so the alt 'tweaking' was a little different.

For rotation, it is much the same once the motor is gone.
Take the base bearing assembly apart and give it a good clean. Mine had lots of muck in there.
So you don't forget where things go, just lay out nuts, washers, spacers etc. in sequence on a sheet
After reassembly, you can tighten the big nut a bit at a time until you get right feel on movement.
Having a spanner handy on your first night out might be useful for a final tweak.

HTH, David.

• Thanks 1

Hi David 

I decided today to disassemble the dob base & followed the procedure as you advised. I sprayed a little Tygris Silicone Lubricant onto a cloth and gave the spacers, washers & rotating areas a good cleaning. I noticed the centre nut was fairly tight before & retightened it until, as you said, I got the right feel on the movement. I now believe that was main problem 

I’m just back in from giving it a quick session on Orion. I was using a Meade UWA 5.5 eyepiece & the nudging at that magnification was just sweet! So no need to purchase any extra bits thanks to your reply 

Again thanks Joe

• Like 1