How is my collimation?

Realtimedoctor

Hello lovely people, 

Decided to tinker a little bit with my setup, and optimise things a little bit. 

I wonder what is everyone's opinion on this collimation. 

I also wonder, if someone could shadow some light, on why the outer border of the star looks hazzy. 

Cheers, 

Nish 

20220127_185959.jpg

Edited by Realtimedoctor

Just now, Realtimedoctor said:

Hello lovely people, 

Decided to tinker a little bit with my setup, and optimise things a little bit. 

I wonder what is everyone's opinion on this collimation. 

I also wonder, if someone could shadow some light, on why the outer border of the star looks hazzy. 

Cheers, 

Nish 

20220127_185959.jpg

The outser border being hazy can be that the scope has not cooled down sufficiently, but it can also indicate a rolled adge on the primary mirror.

Adam

1 minute ago, Adam J said:

The outser border being hazy can be that the scope has not cooled down sufficiently, but it can also indicate a rolled adge on the primary mirror.

Adam

Well, my scope stays outside in the garden 24x7. So unlikely it hasn't Cooled enough. 

I may remove the primary sometime now to check for the edges. 

Thanks 

Just now, Realtimedoctor said:

Well, my scope stays outside in the garden 24x7. So unlikely it hasn't Cooled enough. 

I may remove the primary sometime now to check for the edges. 

Thanks 

Its not something you could possibly see with the eye by inspecting the mirror. your talking about an error in the 100's of nm range. The only thing that you can do to confirm it is to make a mask ( a ring of card) to block the outer 1cm of the primary mirror, if you then have a sharp edge on the star test then you have your answer. Would not effect DSO viewing or imaging too much but will impact performance for planetary imaging and viewing.

Adam

1 minute ago, Adam J said:

Its not something you could possibly see with the eye by inspecting the mirror. your talking about an error in the 100's of nm range. The only thing that you can do to confirm it is to make a mask ( a ring of card) to block the outer 1cm of the primary mirror, if you then have a sharp edge on the star test then you have your answer. Would not effect DSO viewing or imaging too much but will impact performance for planetary imaging and viewing.

Adam

Thanks 

To be honest, I've not really noticed any issues with my DSO images. I never go pixel peeping, and not looking for APODs either 😋

So I might just leave it for the time being. A couple of days ago when I took this image, I spent quite a bit of time "perfecting" my collimation. So I wondered if it was the reason for hazziness, like pinched optics etc.