NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First dedicated planetary camera for EAA (IMX464 vs IMX485)

JediScp

Good afternoon,

This year I am going to start doing EAA (perhaps followed by AP) and I would need your recommendation to make a decision in a sensor/camera. I'm leaning towards the color sensors IMX464 & IMX485.

My equipment is an OOUK Advanced VX6 (150/750) in a SW HEQ5. After doing some simulations in astronomy.tools I put the also good sensors IMX462 ((narrow FOV) and IMX482 aside  (large pixel size).

My aim is to have a low noise camera for EAA that will be also used for autoguiding with a DSLR. The planetary AP is less relevant for me although it will be used too if there is a gain comparing to a DSLR.

I'm uploading a comparison of the specification concerning these two sensors based in 3 cameras (Player One Neptune 2C + ZWO ASI485C & QHY5III485C. I think I've selected the most important specifications for EAA plus a few others less important as FPS.

Does the community have some recommendation that can help me taking a decision?

Of course there are other models/sensors  as cooled cameras or mono cameras (better for galaxies) but I would prefer to keep the budget in this level and rely in one single camera (+DSLR)

Thank you,

Clear Skies 

David 

IMX_464_vs_IMX_485.pdf

Edited by JediScp
More suggestive/detailed title

• JediScp changed the title to First dedicated planetary camera for EAA (IMX464 vs IMX485)

Hi,

You might be better off looking through the dedicated EEVA threads (discussion and reports) to see what people are doing and what gear they are using. Your question has often been asked eg.https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/287-discussions-eeva-equipment/ (there is some technical discussion in this thread as well).

For EEA (EEVA) mono camera and larger pixels works very well but it will depend on the scope size and what sort of targets you wish to go for.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for your prompt reply. Of course I should have open this topic within https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/287-discussions-eeva-equipment/. If a moderator can change it to the proper place I would appreciate.

I did not yet found a clear answer between these two sensors, mostly because both have perhaps a year in existence/built-in in cameras. Let's see if anyone has compared both. I know each equipment is an equipment and each target is a target.

Thank you for your explanation about mono cameras with large pixel size. As matter of fact I have more interest in large and small galaxies and globular clusters rather than large nebulae or planetary AP. Of course I read that IMX464 allow us has more sensitivity and allow us to use additional specific filters (ex: IR, CH4) as in planetary but I'm really interested in DSO, namely maximizing their view with electronic aid (without having any need of AP and its post processing).

Best regards

David