SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Micro Four Thirds camera (GH5) Hot Pixel PROBLEM FIXED

the lemming

I've got a Panasonic GH5 which I really like for video work, however it is shockingly bad with hot pixels for night time subjects such as star trails and the milky way.

I'm very happy with the Micro Four Thirds camera system and I have invested quite a few pennies into MFT glass.

I very much would appreciate recommendations of MFT cameras that can take good night time photography shots.

I have no desire to go full frame.

Cheers

what you will be best of doing is finding the right camera and find an adapter or combination of for the lenses you currently have. You can couple most things but obtaining the correct spacing will be the problem. FLO have a great section of such things as do Telescope Service. 

For example I bought a 4/3 samyang 84mm when the price was cheap of amazon took the 4/3 plate off

put on

Astro Essentials Samyang Lens to M48 Adapter 

M48 to canon EF adapter 

Astro Essentials Canon EF Lens to T2 Adapter for

Baader 1.25" / T2 Eyepiece Holder

Which all cost me less than a samyang 84mm with a Canon EF fitting. 

• the lemming changed the title to Micro Four Thirds camera (GH5) Hot Pixel PROBLEM FIXED
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/01/2022 at 21:05, the lemming said:

I've got a Panasonic GH5 which I really like for video work, however it is shockingly bad with hot pixels for night time subjects such as star trails and the milky way.

I'm very happy with the Micro Four Thirds camera system and I have invested quite a few pennies into MFT glass.

I very much would appreciate recommendations of MFT cameras that can take good night time photography shots.

Cheers

I've been using MFT for many years and surprised the GH5 is giving you hot pixels. You have fixed that :)

Cameras I have and have used on OTA - G5, G7, E-PL7, E-M5ii, GH4, G9, PEN-F.

SLT clip-in filters for Olympus and Panasonic.  Astro Multispectra. Much depends on your Bortal.

Some pros and cons.

The G7 and E-PL7 are lightweight

From G7 on, Lumix have "Starlight AF". With an AF lens they will focus on Jupiter or the moon. On an OTA we don;t have AF but it does mean the focus peaking works,

G5 does not have focus peaking. But does take good images, it shares sensor with the GH3.

The E-PL7 has the same innards as an E-M10ii

The PEN-F and G9 are 20Mp, probably the same sensor, like your GH5. We do not need the extra pixels but they are newer tech, quieter, more dynamic range.

The E-M5ii shares innards with the PEN-F but 16Mp.

The GH4 is one big heat sink, the sensor does not get hot.

The key point of the G9 is its ridiculous stabilisation, we do not need stabilisation on a tripod

Back focus can be an issue mounted prime. I had to get a couple of different extra-shallow T2 to MFT adapters.

MFT doubles the magnification like a X2 Barlow, reduced field of view, may need a reducer.  Advantage less edge curve.

There is no Backyard-EOS for MFT. Olympus Workspace is good for Olympus but Lumix Tether not so much, nor the wireless phone apps for them. They will not allow more than 60s exposure

Default NR can be too aggressive ans remove faint stars, Long shutter NR is a dark frame subtraction, how much it does can be adjusted and is good for single shots but a waste of milk for stacking.

All native MFT lenses are "good". Some are more equal than others.

9 minutes ago, jefrs said:

The key point of the G9 is its ridiculous stabilisation, we do not need stabilisation on a tripod

Easily solved, turn it off. It does work extremely well in "normal" use. Haven't tried it on an OTA so I can't comment on how well it works but the G9 does have an 80Mp sensor-shift combined-image output too.

On 12/01/2022 at 21:05, the lemming said:

Cheers

I've no desire to go to full frame neither. Mainly because they are not good enough for what I use a camera for.  Which is mainly wildlife where the crop sensor doubles the magnification (FoV) making the G9+PL100-400 a wildlife photographer's dream.   But I also shoot landscape and nighttime and use the cameras for astro. I've been using MFT a long time and cannot think of anything a FF or APS-C can do better.

Most astro apps are tailored to the Canon EOS e.g. Backyard-EOS. However as Canon lenses can be fully adapted electronically to MFT, if you find you need to use those apps, a cheap used Canon EOS might make a useful secondary system.  Some used Canon can be had very cheaply, like under £50. I have considered it but so far not. Rather than Nikon which can only be dumb adapted.