Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CEM70 USB connection problem

ABPhotosUK

My CEM70 has developed a fault with the USB socket on the main panel which is preventing me connecting to the mount from my PC. I'm waiting on a new bridge board from iOptron but wondered if anyone has a workaround for this in the meantime. I've tried an FTDI cable connected to the handset but it appears this doesn't work (other than for handset firmware upgrades). Any help would be much appreciated.

CS,

Andy

Edited by ABPhotosUK

• 1 month later...
On 21/12/2021 at 12:53, ABPhotosUK said:

My CEM70 has developed a fault with the USB socket on the main panel which is preventing me connecting to the mount from my PC. I'm waiting on a new bridge board from iOptron but wondered if anyone has a workaround for this in the meantime. I've tried an FTDI cable connected to the handset but it appears this doesn't work (other than for handset firmware upgrades). Any help would be much appreciated.

CS,

Andy

Hi Andy,

I also have an issue with the USB connection to my CEM70.

I currently only use it with the handset, but the i-Polar connection does not work anymore. I am guessing it is the same issue you have found so my fix is likely to be the same.

Have you managed to get a replacement board yet and does it all work now?

Thanks,

Gordon.

18 hours ago, Bukko said:

Hi Andy,

I also have an issue with the USB connection to my CEM70.

I currently only use it with the handset, but the i-Polar connection does not work anymore. I am guessing it is the same issue you have found so my fix is likely to be the same.

Have you managed to get a replacement board yet and does it all work now?

Thanks,

Gordon.

Hi Gordon,

I've managed to fix mine with a homemade USB cable connected directly to the main board (the pins were swapped so took a bit of figuring out). Altair have just managed to get a replacement board for me so that should be with me soon. The iPolar is a separate connection to the main board and works independently so that's different problem to mine. If your mount is still under warranty (2 years standard) then contact your supplier I get a replacement. It's straightforward to replace. Hope you get it sorted. Clear skies, Andy

Thanks, Andy,

Glad to hear you have a resolution.

I did contact the supplier, yes, it is still under warranty.

I have tried everything asked of me, but it still does not work. Lots of things have kept me busy, but I really should get back in touch and resolve this.

I do not use the i-Polar, as I prefer to drift align, but I suppose that is not the point.

Take care,

Gordon.

• 4 months later...

A  maybe related issue: I had intermittent/poor USB connection on the CEM70G USB hub. While I was identifying my DEC guiding issues I dissembled the DEC plate and noticed that the connector to the hub is just a push fit board edge connector.

The wiring loom in the DEC plate is held in place by foam compression pad - not much is stopping the hub cable from being dragged out of its socket as the plate rotates or if you previously removed the main controller board and maybe pulled the cable down a bit😉.  I re-seated the connector and my USB issues have stopped. The iguider (which I don't use) is powered from the hub board and it too is now detected reliably.

At least on my CEM70G the wiring to the DEC plate is part of a bundle that go off to the ipolar.... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...