SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help getting started

Jjmorris90

Hi everyone.  I recently had a powerseeker 127eq but I sold that and got something with a bit more ‘umpth’

i now have a skywatcher 200p 5eq.

ive got a canon 700d and I’m wondering what kind of settings I’d need to capture the Orion Nebula etc. 

i have all the necessary adapters.  

Are you guiding or relying on the accuracy of your polar alignment and the precision of the EQ5 drive  (presume your are driving the mount although you haven't mentioned that)

I don't have your camera, but you can get the trapezium and part of the bright nebula with something like ISO800 and a short 30 second exposure if the mount is unguided, Increasing ISO can result in a more grainy image,  but to get the full  nebular a guided 5 minute exposure yields similar results to those seen in books.  The only drawback is this over exposes the trapezium, so you'll need to do some magic in post processing to balance between the two exposures.

This was 1 x 360s exposure at 400 Iso - Canon 400D - SW Explorer 200PDS

M42c.jpg.100618b7a671f9367518a4c19a313857.jpg