SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cant see anything through the Eyepiece?

Hi everyone. Recently bought the skywatcher 8inch Dobsonian. I feel like I have assembled it wrong or something in regards to the eyepiece. Please see attached photo.

This evening I am able to see the moon through the finder easily but eyepiece I cant see anything. I have had this problem a few times now which questions me to think if I have even assembled it right?

Cheers for any help

CAB7F749-278B-49FA-A1F5-530DED207845.jpeg

My guess is you don't get enough inward travel on the focuser. Put the eyepiece directly into the focuser, without the adapter. You can't use it like this, but if you get focus by moving it in and out, you know you need another adapter. There are adapters that almost goes flush with the drawtube. The one on the picture adds a lot of length.

What are you trying to see through the scope ?

The arrangement you are using with the focuser drawtube, the 1.25 inch adapter and the eyepiece looks correct to me.

These scopes won't bring things that are in anyway close (ie: less than hundreds of metres away) to focus. They are designed to focus on astronomical targets / distances.

The thing is my focuser diameter is 2inch and the eyepieces provided with the telescope are 1.25inch and thats why they have supplied a 1.25inch adaptor which im using. I dont think there is anyway I can cannot my eyepiece into the focuser..

4 minutes ago, John said:

What are you trying to see through the scope ?

The arrangement you are using with the focuser drawtube, the 1.25 inch adapter and the eyepiece looks correct to me.

These scopes won't bring things that are in anyway close (ie: less than hundreds of metres away) to focus. They are designed to focus on astronomical targets / distances.

Hi John, I was trying to see the moon. I expected to see something but all I could see was blue sky which was blurry and unfocused.

To my understanding I need to turn the knobs over on the telescope to bring things into focus,  is it correct that skywatcher classic dobsonian only has one knob?

4 minutes ago, Ande said:

Also worth aligning your finder scope with your telescope in daylight. Pick a distant tree, or chimney or something.

Hi Ande, yes I am going to be trying that tomorrow but I still expected to see something through the eyepiece even if its not in focus...

When aligning do you mean looking through the eyepiece and putting the object in the middle of the finder ? 

If your guide scope is just a little out it can equate to being way out when you point it at the heavens. In other words, your telescope might not be pointing at the moon at all. Experiment with it in daylight. It’s much easier to find out if you have a genuine problem or not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Az9 said:

Hi Ande, yes I am going to be trying that tomorrow but I still expected to see something through the eyepiece even if its not in focus...

When aligning do you mean looking through the eyepiece and putting the object in the middle of the finder ? 

Yes. Find a distant object, one of the x’s on an aerial or similar, and get both telescope and guide to display it centrally.

3 minutes ago, Ande said:

I should have said that it’s easiest to find something with the telescope first, and then adjust your guidescope to match it.

I think the misalignment might be the case as you said, I will give that a shot in daylight! Cheers mate

Even if you’re way out of focus initially, you will see light, shade and colour whizzing across the eyepiece as you move the telescope in daylight whilst scanning the terrain. An out of focus sky is just a blank page.

There should be two focusing knobs, one on each end of the pinion shaft.

Getting the finder aligned with the view through the scope is critical to being able to find anything in the sky. The view though the 25mm eyepiece is only around 3 moons diameter across so it's easy to miss things, even at low power.

• Like 2