Nearly full moon and Apollo 17

Kon

I managed a quick observation of the nearly full moon tonight and it made me feel awry. Seeing was very stable and it took magnification quite well. I was drawn at the ridges of Phocylides and Schickard since they seem to be the only prominent craters visible. The impact area of the Mare Insularum is quite impressive considering the size of the comet  that created such debris scatter. I also took a quick shot of the moon using my mobile and upon observing the picture a noticed a dark patch between  Mare Serenitatis and Tranquillitatis (i thought it was noise from the pic) but looking up at some online resources, it daunted to me that the Apollo 17 landing site was near there. I went back at the EP and took a moment to observe a bit more and mesmerise that we have been there. More Apollo missions are around there, so I want to revisit when they are not fully washed out. Quite a session considering I am still new to moon observing and I underappreciate it over the DSOs.258354469_10165831453410707_8107187061875339699_n.thumb.jpg.357fe394e3b1fe2d69e812d9e12312e9.jpg

Edited by Kon
  • Like 10

8 hours ago, John said:

I guess we will be back, someday.

Absolutely overdue. I have nothing against robotic explorations of the Moon or other planets/moons, but if you want to capture the imagination and excitement of the next generation including future astronauts something more than space tourism is needed.

• Like 1