NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astrophotography DSLR

HaiXing

I would like to get started dong some astrophotography, but not sure what camera to buy.  Since I will be new to AP i don't want to spend too much on a camera.  Looking for something that I won't have to modify.  Something straight out of the box would be great. Can anyone please suggest  decent camera.

Fuji cameras tend to have the best red sensitivity out of the box and they're mirrorless so it gives you space to play with back focus which can be useful. Downside is that compatible lenses are less available and remote control via PC is a non-starter. The cheaper models are actually better for AP than the fancier ones because they don't have noise reduction applied to the RAW files.

Another option is to look for a secondhand pre-modded camera on somewhere like eBay. I picked up mine for just £180 and it's a 24MP full spectrum mod that can record anything from UV right through to surprisingly far into the infrared.