NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lulin in my binocs?

The Warthog

It wasn't cold last night, about +4º, so I went out with my 10x50s, and had a look for Lulin. I was using the position as shown in Heavens Above, but I sometimes wonder about the accuracy of H-A's comet information.

The thing I saw that looked most like a comet was to the right of, and below Saturn, at about 5 o'clock. There was thin cloud about, and I had to wait a while until Leo was open enough for me to pick out the constellation.

There were some possibles over towards Regulus, and below left about the level of Saturn, where H-A said it was. However, seeing Philsail's description of Lulin's position, and as he was looking through a scope, I wondered if I had probably seen Lulin?

Skies won't be clear again for a few nights, and it's getting colder again, but I'll drag my Newt out next time it looks like a clear night.

About to retire last night and spotted a break in the clouds to the south.

Picked up Lulin alittle over half way between Regulus and Saturn. Just about two full FOV in 10x50s from Regulus ( Rho Leo to right of FOV Lulin just out of view on left) All from central UK.

Rob

Had several glimpses of Lulin last night in binoculars and telescope (through high cloud). If you draw a line from Saturn to Regulus (Leo) then Lulin is now almost two thirds the way along that towards Regulus. It has a bright core with a hazy white circular disc around it. I couldn't see any tail or the greenish colour its supposed to have though but well worth looking for.

Archived