NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

QHY 8 and different capture software settings.

tich

Hi everyone sorry if this post comes across as a bit dumb, I know I should probably upgrade to a newer camera which maybe I will when funds allow but for the time being I'm using what I have, I've been using Nebulosity 3 for capturing images with the camera for a while now & found it to be ok & never had many issues from it, I recently got the camera to work in NINA, APT & it's native software EZ cap. One thing I noticed on all of them is that they seem to capture in greyscale with no colour showing at all, NINA when connected to the camera lists it as a mono camera which it isn't. Now I really want to try out NINA & APT but I don't want to be capturing in greyscale unless that's normal, I noticed in Fits viewer the images were in greyscale too when I first used it & panicking thinking I've done something wrong but the colours appeared after stacking in DSS ok.
I hope this post makes sense & I haven't rambled on to much.

Raw images are displayed grey scale. That is normal. The pixels have green, red and blue filter in front in a so called 2x2 bayer pattern. From this single colour so grey scale image is later a colour image created by a process called de-mosaic or de-bayer.  The reason this is not done immediatly is that the are several methods for and some don't work good in astronomy. Second reason is that the dark has to be subtracted prior to de-mosaic processing.

Han

• Like 1