NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Back out under new sky

orions_boot

Sometime last year I bought a 10" bresser dob with help from this forum.  I had some good times in my back garden with a perfect south view despite being town centre.  Unfortunately over the winter there was a large and permanent increase in light pollution.  So much so it was never actually dark and I gave up using the scope.  

I have since moved as planned to what the internet tells me is bortle 4.  The view from my back garden is primarily N/NE which I can see down to 5degree above the horizon without obstruction in almost complete darkness.  If I shuffle around I can also get about 15degrees south albeit with light pollution domes.  If I can work out how to transport my dob on foot I can also go to a completely open area in every direction about 500m from my front door.  Overhead I can see some detail of the Milky Way.  So all in all a new world right on my doorstep.  

I was out of the hobby so long I forgot I had bought an astronomic UHC filter which I found in my kit unopened.  

The first two nights since moving I have spent working out how to use everything again.  I have now got naked eye objects like the double cluster.  The fact I can actually see stuff just by looking is making finding objects a lot easier.  M31 was always a struggle now I can find it instantly.  Through the EP the main difference is M110 is easily seen too.  

I like nebula so I tend to focus on that using a zoom EP.  M27 is a grey blob on the finder scope.  Through the EP I tried sticking an Oii and UHC on and comparing.  I couldn't really see any difference.  Both ways I can see the 'apple core' and the fainter 'bubble' around it.  M57 however was different.  The UHC filter gave a bright outer right and a black middle.  Oiii gave me the ring but also inside I could see very faint the central star.  I also managed to fit in a look at Jupiter and four of it's moons.  There is a lot of haze in the direction so the seeing was poor but I could make out the banding and define the different colours, in moments of clarity.

Add to all that all I can really hear is some strange bird or animal calling now and again.  Being able to sit out and observe is certainly good for mental health and appreciating whats around.

• Like 4