NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M15

Rodd

I final got a few clear nights.  I could not refrain from imaging despite a 95% Moon.  I wanted to go for galaxy MGC 7331, or finish the bubble, but I knew the Moon would compromise the data.  So I settled on M15, which is a brighter object and stellar in nature, so moonlight should not be as problematic.  I had recently read where the core of M15 is the densest of any globular cluster in the galaxy, theorized to contain an intermediate sized black hole.  Also, M15 is one of only 3, and the first discovered, to contain a detectable planetary nebula...Pease-1.  Pease-1 is very small, only a couple of arcsec across, and is typically displayed (when displayed) as blue.  I am not sure that is RGB light, or narrowband.  I have hunted around in this image and do not think I managed to pick it up.  Conditions were not good.  Seeing was good, but the Moon was red for much of the time, and fog/clouds hurt transparency on the night of the red channel.  All in all, I can't complain, though I expected a closer in shot at this focal length.  The data was binned 2x2 in software (mostly to control full resolution size).  I am so looking forward to upgrading to the ASI2600 - the curse of the 1600 is getting tiresome.

C11Edge unguided, ASI 1600, Red 197 30sec; Green 250 30 sec; Blue 192 30 sec.

final8.thumb.jpg.6e30b9eb5d0202f903e64082fd23b299.jpg

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 10

36 minutes ago, GalaxyGael said:

Lovely image and m15 is the interesting ting GC. As you said, theorised to have a black hole, and behaves as such from measurements. Big question in my mind is what is really at the centre of these ancient globular clusters. 

Thanks.  I would love to be able to visit one and find out.  I read where they have measured core collapse, which is amazing even if there isn’t a black hole.  What a chaotic environment.  I wonder if a GC has ever had a super nova

1 hour ago, astro mick said:

Beautiful image Rodd,cant believe you,ve virtually got the core resolved.

Mick.

Thanks Mick.  Its the short exposures.  Great for the core, but they don't pick up the faint, little stars of the cluster.  Maybe I just need more data.