NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hyperion Zoom or ??????

Nugs

Newbie looking for first EP’s I can use on 130-PDS newt and WO ZS71.

Was going for the Baader Hyperion Zoom mk4 which seem well regarded, but then these caught my eye - https://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-classic-eyepiece-set-with-turret.html

Or would a couple of BST starguiders do just as well for a first dip into viewing? 
TIA, Dave

19 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

Get the Starguiders.  The wider, more open, apparent fields are well corrected and more enjoyable to use for general viewing.

Cheers Don, would 8,15, and 25 give me a reasonable range with my scopes, not sure about the 5mm?

I can't say because I don't know your scope.

In an 8" f/6, the 25mm..12mm..8mm..5mm can be a fairly complete set.

In a 102mm f/7 refractor,  the same 4 work out fairly well.

In an 8" SCT, though, you need something longer than 25mm as a low power, and 8mm might be a highest normal power eyepiece.

There, a different brand of eyepiece might do better.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nugs said:

Newbie looking for first EP’s I can use on 130-PDS newt and WO ZS71.

Having an f/ratio of f5 and f/6, respectively, you'll want a 5mm as your highest power eyepiece for most nights.  From there, I would add the 8mm, 12mm, and 25mm Starguider focal lengths.  This would give you a nice range of powers in each scope.

• Thanks 1

Thanks all...... ordered BST starguiders in 5, 12, and 18mm.

Decided to pass on the 25mm starguider as there has been some mixed reviews, so 25mm 32mm GSO super plossl  added to the order, being express shipped thanks to our friend Zoltan at 365astronomy. 👍

Edited by Nugs

2 hours ago, Nugs said:

Decided to pass on the 25mm starguider as there has been some mixed reviews, so 25mm GSO super plossl  added to the order, being express shipped thanks to our friend Zoltan at 365astronomy. 👍

I would have gone with a 32mm GSO Super Plossl to max out the field of view in that case.  I have one, and it's a very nicely made eyepiece.

12 hours ago, Louis D said:

I would have gone with a 32mm GSO Super Plossl to max out the field of view in that case.  I have one, and it's a very nicely made eyepiece.

Its like you have a sixth sense Louis, no stock of 25mm so substituted for a 32mm. 👍

• Like 1