Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Not sure what equipment to get...

Hello everyone, first post here... I want to start doing astrophotography. Currently Im trying to get the best out of my 800D and a 70-200 f2.8 telephoto lens, but its almost impossible to focus with it and I dont get very good results where I live, because of the light pollution.

What setupS would be the best for me? I'd like a few suggestions. My price range is about 1200$ but I can go higher if needed.

I would say before you jump in and spend $1200 work with what you have first. You should definitely be able to get some great results with your camera and a 70-200 f.28 lens. If focus is the problem then perhaps focus to infinity during the day and either mark the position or tape it down. Then you will at least be close to focus at night.

If you are going to spend some money then a mount should be your first purchase (and a sturdy tripod if you don't already have one). A star tracker from Sky Watcher or Ioptron could be a good start and will give you a very nice portable set up that you could still keep if you move on to something more substantial in the future. You could perhaps add in a light pollution filter as well but the best thing you could do is travel to somewhere darker if you can!

If you read through the posts here you will find plenty of information on how to get started and how to get the best of the equipment you already have, which is pretty good to start with!

For some idea of what your lens can produce look here:

https://www.astrobin.com/search/?q=Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8 L

Good luck :)

Edited by Icesheet

You could buy a decent mount and some gadgets for your current setup with that kind of money. Skies are full of objects that are suitable for your field of view.

Most of a beginners budjet (if not all, at first) should probably go towards a sturdy mount. The mount is the only piece of kit that can and will ruin everything if its not good enough. You can always buy a telescope later, if you want to so buying a mount with some room to grow is a good idea.

For focusing there are these kinds of things: https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p11969_TS-Optics-Microfocuser-for-Camera-Lenses-from-50-mm-to-100-mm-Diameter.html

Havent used one myself but i understand the pain of trying to focus a telephoto lens that is not specifically made for at-infinity focus operation.

Also a bahtinov mask is pretty much a must have to take out the guesswork from focusing.

Dont do what i did and try to buy everything as a budget compromise, it just wont work. Mount first, everything else is less important imo.