NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron Nexstar 8Se and GB70

I've just ordered and received my second scope (before my first one has even arrived, at least 30 day lead time, I know, I'm impatient and want everything now). I have batteries in the scope right now, but I also have a GB70, pic attached. I was thinking of getting this cable;

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/lynx-astro-mount-power-cable-for-celestron-mounts.html

Anyone forsee any issues with the 15a out on the GB70? I can't remember my physics, will this damage the mount electronics?

noco-boost-gb70.jpg

At the correct 12V output, the 'scope will take the current it wants - it won't be 15A!  The problem arises when the specified output current is too low.  I use a supply that can give up to 3.5A to the 8SE, and that works fine - no overheating.

Doug.

• Thanks 1

I got this one; 

https://www.picstop.co.uk/goto-telescopes/celestron-nexstar-8se-computerised-telescope-free-moon-filter.html

Which didn't come with any accessories. I did see a bunch of others online which did come bundled with various bits, one of them may have been a cable but I think that one also came with a power tank. And I wasn't sure if I wanted/needed one, so I went with the cheapest bundle I could find in stock.

Dew shield arrives on Monday with the cable to hook up my 2000ah car battery jump starter (noco gb70), should get a several evenings of continuous use and still jump start my car a few times on 1 charge. 

With the diagonals, I was researching this, is upgrading to a 2" going to be beneficial? I'm assuming the TV everbrite is the best for the job here. Although I might wait until my dob arrives and switch those around to see if I notice a difference between the stock skywatcher and celestron.

And the first eyepiece is going to be a TV replacement for the 25mm possl it came with. I need to see with my own eyes what the difference in quality is. 

Only been able to find the moon so far, that one's quite easy, been too cloudy to properly align. The moon does take up nearly the whole observable area (I forget what this is called) so maybe a slightly larger fov ep or even a 32mm ep after I've verified there is actually a difference between stock and TV. I would like to keep it in view for longer before having to readjust.

After that, maybe an eq wedge, having to realign with 2 buttons can get confusing, slewing on a single control might be easier for me.

Then celestron starsense to make it ultra beginner friendly. Might as well get the WiFi module at this point and see what software / mobile apps I like. 

Edited by GalaticBoba

56 minutes ago, GalaticBoba said:

With the diagonals, I was researching this, is upgrading to a 2" going to be beneficial? I'm assuming the TV everbrite is the best for the job here. Although I might wait until my dob arrives and switch those around to see if I notice a difference between the stock skywatcher and celestron.

A matter of opinion. All the 2" bits add extra cost. The 2" diagonal will provide a more solid base for attaching accessories, but if you are going for more field width than you can get from a 1.25" 32mm Plossl, IMHO maybe you should have bought a different model of telescope.  The SCT is really designed for narrow field stuff. Even less point if you are also buying a Dob.

Putting the SE mount on a wedge is a terrible idea, and I don't see how it will help as you suggest.

The (hardware) Starsense works well with the C8SE and speeds up alignment, making the whole thing a quick-deploy setup.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the tips, that's good to know. 

I will be doing more observing before investing in anything else, so I get a feel for what I want to improve. Plus I need to do all my calculations to know what eyepieces will actually work.