Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Synscan pro app on windows 10 laptop challenge

M40

Hello all,

I have a challenge that I am hoping that someone can help with. The mount is an HEQ5 pro and I am trying to remote from the laptop by using the synscan pro app for windows. I can remote using eqmod/ascom and stellarium and I can remote using the eqdir cable but I was trying to remote using the handset in pc direct mode via the usb/serial port to the laptop. Why? simply to use the star alignment routine within the handset/app. I have visited the skywatcher site and downloaded the ascom driver for windows app, I have set the comms to serial and connected to the "correct" port, but when I try to connect it returns "Cannot connect". 

Any pointers would be very much appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Hi

Does the HEQ5 Pro have a USB port directly on the mount? 

I'm using a similar setup i.e. not using eqmod but my mount is an EQ6-R Pro and I'm not using the handset at all. 

For me, plugging directly into the mount gives me a serial device of COM8 on Windows. Then in the SynScan app under the settings/connect settings I select Serial and choose the COM8 from the list. 

I haven't tried plugging into the handset but if going directly to the mount is an option for you then I'd go that route. 

I'll test out what happens when using the handset on mine later on though see if I can get it to work and report back. 

Andy

Edited by AstroAndy70

Hi again

Tested by plugging into the handset and setting it to PC Direct Mode. Afraid it doesn't work for me either in that configuration.

In Device Manager under Ports (COM & LPT) I see a device named Prolific PL2303GL USB Serial COM Port on COM10 but it fails to connect using the SynScan App.

When I'm plugged in directly to the mount I get a device named Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port on COM8 which works really well.

Perhaps when connected via the handset, a different kind of USB cable is required?

Andy