Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ mount restarting

Hello , I am currently using EQ mount called Bresser EXOS 2 GOTO.

The problem is that when it was tracking at solar speed and I was playing with the controls to get the planet in the center the hand controller red backlight was getting dim and brighter again when suddenly it got reset and I saw the starting screen when I had to set time, date and location again . This happened all the time after a short while of tracking Jupiter. Also when I left the mount for an entire night to image DSO the mount was turned off when I came back. I want to add that I am using batteries but I've been using the mount for max 20 nights and only a few of them I left the mount for all night imaging. Are the batteries going dead or something's up with the mount?

Change the batteries, they don't last  Look for an alternative power supply.  From the listing on a retailers website

The Bresser Messier Exos 2 Goto is powered by an included 12v battery pack, which takes non-rechargeable D-cell batteries (not included). However, the mount can be powered by a conventional Powertank or other rechargeable 12v system, or can be run off a 240v mains supply using the Revelation Meade-compatible 12v DC converter (BC169).

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies , I can power the mount using cables from my house. Can I use something like a laptop power supply? I mean something that has 12v power , also does it need to have specific amp or can it be whatever?

The Exos 2 manual should specify the power supply (volts, amps, size of plug, size of centre pin, polarity of centre pin)  A particular plug is common to most GoTos and a variety of suitable supplies are on the market, but DO NOT make any unwarranted assumptions in case yours is different.  The common mounts can also be powered from an astro power pack containing a rechargeable battery (or from a car engine starter, which is essentially the same).

DO NOT plug in a laptop PSU to see if it works.

1 hour ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

The Exos 2 manual should specify the power supply (volts, amps, size of plug, size of centre pin, polarity of centre pin)  A particular plug is common to most GoTos and a variety of suitable supplies are on the market, but DO NOT make any unwarranted assumptions in case yours is different.  The common mounts can also be powered from an astro power pack containing a rechargeable battery (or from a car engine starter, which is essentially the same).

DO NOT plug in a laptop PSU to see if it works.

From the goto kit manual

Drives: DC servo motors with rotary encoders

Operating voltage: 12V DC

Connection power supply: DC- plug 5.5/2.5mm

Polarity of the 12V connection socket: pin inside + / plug shaft unit –

Pretty much standard plug configuration.  The manual doesn't state the current draw - but form my experience the EQ5 drew around 1.9amps when slewing both motors without a scope attached, so 3amps would be the minimum IMO.  The one RVO recommend is rated at 5 amps (60 watts)