NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Daytime set-up possible?

Hi all, about to start dipping my toes into very basic imaging. I can’t even justify calling it “imaging” - I’m just hoping for a few better/easier planetary photos than I can achieve with a smartphone adapter.

Thanks to the ZWO sale at FLO I’ve got a 120MC-S arriving today.  I’m expecting to use it on my Mak 127 on a SW Virtuoso mount with the WiFi adapter providing full go-to ability. I’m aware I’ll need to do a good alignment when setting up the scope but before that I’ll also need to make my finder alignment as good as possible given the narrow FOV of the camera and scope. 

I can do that during daytime to make it easier and was wondering if I can also do a basic test of the camera at this point also or if the daylight would totally overwhelm the sensor? I’ll be hooking it up to a MacBook using a USB cable and for now I’ll just be using the ASI Studio software (although may also try direct viewing by hooking it up to an Android phone).

Any point in even trying to connect things before dark?  Any other tips greatly appreciated too!

Thanks

Aligning and focusing the finder to be concentric with the imaging scope, pointed at a distant landmark, is a useful daytime activity.

Then fine-tuning at night will be much easier.

You can test your guidecam during the day using very fast exposures.

Again focusing on a distant landmark will get you in the ballpark for fine adjustment on a star.

Some recommend a pin-hole mask to get a daytime exposure.

That's good for checking the camera works, but not focus, as it gives a massive depth of field, everything is in focus !

Michael

• Thanks 1