Absolute beginner - binocular sizes vs holding steady vs compactness...

I'm sure all these issues are covered elsewhere, but perhaps not as one issue! To my mind they're all different sides of the same coin (if coins were polyhedrons).

Knowing what I'm like, the chances of being disciplined enough to go out and spend time properly with my telescope are slim. However what I can imagine doing is whipping out some binoculars, especially when on holiday as I'm more likely to be under dark skies.

I haven't actually got any bins, but am spending a LOT of time browsing for some instead of working. But I'm going round in circles. The situation is that we're having a little walking holiday up near Hadrian's Wall, and any observing kit needs to be carried in a rucksack along with other clobber. So I'm trying to pick apart...

• 8x42 on the assumption I should be able to hold them steady enough to be of use.
  • Something bigger e.g. 10x50 if I can also carry something to rest them on.
  • Are there small usable tripods? Would a monopod be ok?
  • If there are small usable tripods, are there small usable telescopes to go with rather than bins? (if so, could you use such a scope with a monopod?)
  • If monopods are OK, is it worth considering even bigger bins such as these 25x70 wotsits?
  • Can you resolve binary stars, or see any DSOs in worthwhile detail, with 8x42?

All thoughts welcome, including "you're wasting your time" 🙂

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to SGL.

Up to 10x50 should not be too much of a problem hand held but you could always try an upside down brush to give you an idea what a monopod is like to use. Like any other subject binoculars are very subjective and people have varying opinions. I recommend you take a look at http://binocularsky.com/ as it is full of very useful information.

• Like 1