NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron 8SE suitable power

Looks like the one I use (when not using the jump starter) - output 12V at 3.5A.  Wouldn't recommend using a lower current rating - can work, but might overheat.  PLUS, these sometimes state indoor use only - prob. OK if you keep it dry though!

Doug.

Edited by cloudsweeper

Hi,

At night, the grass, the ground, can become quite wet with dew, as does the telescopic equipment.  In addition, it may be desirable to observe after an afternoon storm, the ground wet still as night falls and progresses, as the storm had scrubbed and washed all of the particulates out of the sky.  But whilst the transparency is very good after such, the seeing is generally poor.  I'm afraid we can't have our cake and eat it too in that.

Self-adhesive Velcro would be ideal to attach the adaptor to the tripod/mount, the higher the better.  Also, if you don't have one already, a dew-shield for the front of the telescope will help to keep the front "lens" of the telescope clean and dry, also to prevent stray lights from reaching same.  I have one for my catadioptric...

179298852_dewshield7b.jpg.a840ec2e9850cdb68892a67865f821db.jpg

I didn't even take that one out for the very first time until I had it protected.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, casual_observer said:

Thank you Alan for the input!

Velcro would also come in handy crafting a "dew-sheild" out of household materials :)

Indeed it would.  The ready-mades utilise Velcro for fastening, too, and may simulated at home very easily.  I made this one with materials from hardware and arts & crafts stores...

1030834035_dewshield2.jpg.3f989992fdeb25d9a10885dee89e8705.jpg