NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Getting reaquainted with the giants.

Dark Vader

Just got back in after spending nearly 4 hours on the Moon, Saturn and Jupiter. It's my first time out since the 2nd week of May due to the appalling weather, and life getting in the way of the odd clear nights. 
I put the Dob out around 9ish after checking for cobwebs, watched a bit of telly then went out around 10. The moon looked lovely and clear with the Hyperion IV zoom at 150x. Had a look around the Appenines, Hadley and Rupes recta. Copernicus was just past the terminator and showed great detail on one wall with the other wall and floor in shadow. 
Saturn was just clearing the trees so I switched to the BST 15mm with the 2.25x Barlow and caught my first look since last year's conjunction. The seeing was coming and going but during the better spells the Cassini division was clear and a couple of faint bands visible, and I'm certain I caught 3 moons - Titan was a definite and flickering in and out were Dione and Rhea exactly where Sky Safari said they were.
Jupiter was up now but wasn't taking the 180x Saturn was. Going back to the Hyperion zoom some reasonable views were had at 120x then the seeing settled briefly again so I went back to the Barlowed BST 15mm and got some nice details around the SEB and some faint banding around the North Temperate area. 
A few easy wins but was just nice to get back out again.

• Like 3