Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Assisting a Neighbour who has updated his kit

Hi all,

Please forgive my long post and lack of knowledge.

My neighbour asked me to assist with connecting his newly updated equipment together.

He has purchase an ASIAIR pro along with ZWO Camera ASI 385MC, his mount is a Celestron CGX-L GoTo with a Celestron WLAN modul skyportal wifi unit all beautifully housed in a Pulsar 2.7m full height dome with a pulsar dome drive.

The dome installation is on a flat shed roof with the viewing /control room down below.

I have installed a network using wifi access points and have the Celestron mount and ASIAIR pro connected to it using fixed IP addressing. I call control the mount using skyportal app on a smartphone/IPAD remotely via the network and can take images via ASIAIR PRO and connected camera.

I am struggling to get the dome to slave to the ASIAIR – I have installed a USB cable directly from the pulsar drive unit and can control this via a PC. What I would like to do for my neighbour is to slave the drive to either Skyportal app or ASIAIR pro app so that he can control both via one app or PC.

My research so far is; I believe the ASIAIR cannot slave the Pulsar dome (I hope I am wrong). I am unsure if all these very good pieces of equipment can communicate together to provide a single control – dome drive and mount working as a synchronous pair.

I am very open to suggestions and recommendations, obviously I would like to make the best use of the units he has purchased but if there is another more efficient and seamless method to consider I am happy to do so.

Many thanks

Jim

I can report (but perhaps not much help with the ASI) that all my kit, including the Pulsar software runs successfully on a Minix Win 10 industrial computer and is controlled from the house via remote desktop.

It runs two versions of Sharpcap, one for imaging and the other for a wide angle view inside to dome so I can keep an eye on things.

• 2 weeks later...