NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

V3 firmware failure - Help please?

doctorpw

I just bought a second hand Skywatcher Mak 127 with V3 controller. It was working fine, but I decided to update the firmware on my V3 controller but now it will not update and the handset no longer works. It will give me the Synscan Version 1.7 message if I do the 0&8 reset. I can also load the voltage firmware update, but every time I try to update the V3 software it fails. The loader will connect and shows me the HC configuration. I am using a direct serial connection and tried lower receive/transmit setting plus doing the "Lo" setting but no joy. Any help please?

Also, if I have to replace the handset, will V4 or V5 handset work with my GOTO mount?

Thanks in advance for any help. Cheers and clear skies, Phil.

You say you're using the direct serial connection, is this connected to a serial port of the PC or are you using a Serial to USB adaptor? I ask because some of the cheaper Serial to USB adaptors don't work for the firmware updates, I managed to get hold of a Skywatcher Synscan adaptor but they seem to be hard to get these days.

Can you provide more information on how you are connecting the handset to the PC.    Does your PC have a standard D-9 serial port and you used the Skywatcher PC-DIRECT cable, or were you using a USB to serial adapter to connect the PC-DIRECT cable to the PC?    Did you place the PC connection cable into the correct socket, the RJ11 rather than the RJ45 (ie not the one that normally connects between the handset and mount ?)

When you say the handset doesn't work, can you elaborate.  When connected to the mount can you operate the mount (does it see the mount - or report a lack of response of one or both axis?).