NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Crescent Nebula

Snoani

Good afternoon

I've been revisiting targets this year following an upgrade of equipment and development of my knowledge on my astrophotography journey, and the latest on my list is NGC6888, The crescent Nebula.  

My acquisition is fine but my processing skills still leave something to be desired.  Just when I tihnk I am starting to get somewhere, I then stumble to the point that I take many attempts from scratch to get a reasonable image from the data.  I'm using an old copy of PS (CR2) and Affinity Photo to process currently so have decided to download a trial of Pixinsight to see if that will offer anything revolutionary.  Suffice to say that I have a number of videos to watch to work out how to use it.  

I did eventually get somewhere with this data, having spent many hours trying to control the stars, tease out the nebulosity while also managing some of the light pollution that I have in my northern sky.  I am reasonably happy but know it can be processed better.  

The image is made up of 3h of each RGB, 3.5h of luminance and 4h of Ha.  All subs taken using a Meade 80mm APO, ASI 1600MM Pro, Baader filters, HEQ5 (rowan upgrade) and ASI Air Pro.  

Enjoy and thank you for taking the time to look.  

Jem

875888921_210612NGC6888CrescentNebula.thumb.jpg.c4b6826ca233494e6dcd06602ceaac6b.jpg

• Like 4