NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sun on 31 May using Baader ND5.0 filter foil on a Celestron C11 SCT

inFINNity Deck

Last week I got myself a decent sheet of Baader ND5.0 solar filter foil (49x50cm). I had read on various fora that the ND5.0 foil was not suitable for solar imaging as it reduced exposure times too much, but the main purpose for the filter was observing. Of course I could not resist using it for imaging as well, just to see how far I could get with my first attempt.

So this morning I gave it a try at 7:30am UTC. The imaging scope is my Celestron C11 EdgeHD. I used a green filter (have no continuum filter yet), a TeleVue 4x PowerMate and ZWO ASI174MM.

Setting the camera to a gain of 300 resulted in 3.2ms exposures and a 66FPS frame-rate. Seeing was the greatest issue, but out of 10 SER-movies of 30s and 2000 frames each, 10 frames of one of them were good enough to stack.

Nicolàs

Sun210531_072853UTC_C11_B4x_G_IMPPG_earth.thumb.jpg.2052f9bb80ce93d90d5ba29933a83d9b.jpg

Edited by inFINNity Deck
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1