NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tiff and Fits Problem

All was going well last night gathering data on M63 and M64, using Sharpcap and a one shot colour camera.  Then at 1am, freezing cold and tired, I realised that somehow the captured images had all been saved as 16 bit Tiff, not Fits.  That's when I gave up thinking dark (Bortle 1) thoughts.  I've had this happen once before.  Both DSS and Photoshop will only read them as monochrome.  Does anyone know if the colour info been lost forever, or is there a means of recovering it.  The resulting monochromes look sort of ok, but colour is prettier.

M64-60s 2021-05-10.jpg

M63-60s 2021-05-10.jpg

All images captured are actually monochrome, even colour ones. The RGB coloured bayer filter in front of the monochrome sensor of a OSC camera, enables a colour image to be reconstructed from the monochrome image. PIPP will debayer (recover the colour information) from numerous raw file formats and not just fits files. Check out the section on the PIPP page on Debayering a RAW Colour Capture.

PIPP is mainly used in preprocessing planetary videos but works fine on single images too.

This post on the Sharpcap forum should help too, linking to a PDF file on how to do what you want using PIPP. 🙂

Alan

Edited by symmetal