NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is there something wrong with this source data?

hey folks.

I recently got myself a ZWO 1600 mono and filter set to up my game from the Nikon D800E I had been using. I have only had one real opportunity to capture some data with it given the longer days but in processing that data I seem to be running into a problem

I have attached the stacked FITS files, I am using astropixel processor and when I get to the stage of combining the RGB channels it's creating this which is, well its very green!

is there something wrong with my source data perhaps? or a focus problem with the green data maybe?

Obviously this is a new camera, new processing software, new workflow so I am not under any illusion this is going to be a one-click process, and I have very little data to work with but can anyone see anything fundamentally wrong in the individual channels?

image.png.93eb2340cbd383fd2bcb9867cf59b488.png

Ed.

M101-ZWO-LRGB4-Blue-session_1.fits M101-ZWO-LRGB4-Green-session_1.fits M101-ZWO-LRGB4-Luminance-session_1.fits M101-ZWO-LRGB4-Red-session_1.fits

Fair enough, thanks. IIRC I shot red first, then green, then blue then luminance the next night. I don't think I re-checked focus between and the temperatures would have changed a bit. That possibly explains why red is cleanest. This object also moves behind a tree later in the sessions so I am not 100% sure that there's not a leaf or two interfering.

If you can get that result out of that data though, it's obviously mainly something in my processing, my first time with APP, I used DSS for all the Nikon NEF shots so I freely admit I have no idea what I am doing in APP. AstroStace on YouTube has been helpful but, steep curve!

Which processing package did you use for that image? is that Pixinsight? I can see from your sig you have plenty options to go with :)

Ed.

That really was a quick play and mainly in photoshop, just a dbe in pixinsight which I didn't really need 

I would definitely suggest you check focus on each filter (even if they are supposed to be parfocal), I often have a little tweak to do

The processing is just levels and curves really, this is complicated by the fact that I was masking off the stars using layers but you wouldn't normally need that. eKep going, you're on the right path :)

Ahha, ok so I have used the ESA Fits liberator software to get the individual stacked channels into TIFF's that photoshop can read and I can clearly see that the Luminance and Green channels are out of focus. Red is ok, blue is not too bad, G & L are blurred.

Thanks for the pointers. I also managed to work out why "merge channels" is inactive, you need multiple images open in PS before it enables that option. another win!

Ed.

here we go. this is from APP -> FITS Liberator -> PS and I am fairly happy with is as a first stab at LRGB. Source data needs to be better but for that I need September to come rolling around :)

Just practice I guess. On AstroStace's channel she downloaded some public data from AstroBin but it seems thats either moved or been taken away. anyone know where there's a raw public LRGB data repository?

image.png.a95403ba41aebe0082b4b3ac2ba833e7.png