NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Piggy-backing DSLR on 90mm refractor

Hi all,

I have a SkyWatcher Star Discovery 90i (link).  I also recently got a Canon DSLR (EOS 500D), and I'd like experiment with piggybacking on the telescope.

I know there are alternatives to this, like mounting the camera directly on the mount, but I like the idea of being able to stick the camera on there and taking a wide field of where the 'scope is pointing without having to swap everything around.

Has anyone done this?  I've looked for some kind of universal clamp that will sit on the scope tube, but the only option seems to be to add a tube ring which has a camera-tripod-screw thing, but that looks like it would end up being a bit flimsy.

Ideally, I don't want to spend stacks of cash at this stage, I'm only experimenting.  It feels like there should be something out there already though, I'm just not searching for the right thing...

Thanks!

Stephen